People often mention to me that they get very sick of salads, but people often forget that just because you are eating ‘clean’ does not mean you need to eat salad all the time. This is filling, warm and a real comfort food, especially when its cold outside. I make lots of this and freeze it in containers. That way you will never get stuck if you don’t have time to make something before you leave the house in the morning on your way to work. This is why I have not included lots of lunch recipes because leftovers rule.
What you need
- 1 kg wedge of cooking pumpkin ( about 750g of peeled weight)
- 4 tbsp of coconut oil
- 3 regular shallots peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped reduced sodium boulion stock,
- black pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of ground turmeric (amazing antioxidant)
- 500ml of hot Chicken or Veg stock
- tin butter beans, rinsed and drained
- Bunch of flat leaf parsley chopped
- Bunch of coriander chopped
- 4 tbsp of light greek natural yoghurt to serve.
How to do it
- Remove the skin from the pumpkin, discard the seeds and roughly chop the flesh into 5 cm cubes.
- Heat half the coconut oil in a saucepan and add the pumpkin, shallot, garlic and some seasoning.
- Stir over a high heat for 10 mins until the pumpkin cubes are slightly caramelised and soft.
- Add the spices and stir over the heat for another two mins.
- Pour in the stock to cover the pumpkin and bring to a simmer, cook for 10 mins, then remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- While still hot, purée the mixture in a blender to a creamy texture, you may need to do this in a couple of batches!
- Return the purée to the pan and bring to a simmer, tip in the butter beans and herbs place over a medium heat for 2-3 mins until the beans are hot, taste and season to your taste!
- Now ladle in the soup into warm bowls, add in a couple of good dollops of the greek yoghurt…. enough complex carbs in here to sustain you without anything else too add, enjoy.