This can be an evening meal, or made in advance and eaten for lunch. It is very tasty and healthy, and can be made without pork for a vegetarian option. Serve with roasted butternut squash and carrots or sweet potato mash for a great family meal.
What you need
- 1 tsp oil Lean pork shoulder, cut into chunks
- 1 onion
- 2/4 garlic cloves
- 1 parsnip
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks Celery
- table spoon of smoked paprika
- 1 eating apple, cored and chopped
- 1 or 2 tins of tomatoes
- 1 or 2 tins of cannellini beans or haricot beans
- ½ pint homemade veg or chicken stock
- a good mix of herbs: oregano, thyme, or others of your choice pinch of paprika or chilli
How to do it
- Preheat oven, 180C (or 160C fan oven).
- Heat the oil in a large pan or casserole dish and add the pork. Fry until sealed and browned (about 4-8 mins).
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3mins.
- Add parsnip, carrots, celery, apple, tomatoes, beans, stock and herbs. Season with black pepper and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1.5 / 2hrs until meat and veg are tender. Can be cooked longer on a lower heat.