May have outdone myself. Dhal soup with tasty tarka. Tarka is one of the best things I learnt about Indian cooking and turns Dhal into something special. It is about as easiest things you can make, it just takes a while. This recipe makes a lot but if you are going to make it, you might as well make loads and freeze it. My kids also like it. I just leave out the tarka and give them some bread and butter to go with it.
What you need
- 3/4 carrots
- Tin of coconut milk
- Chopped fresh tomatos
- Fresh veg stock
- Onions x3/4
- Garlic full bulb
- Whole or ground gara masala mix
How to do it
- Wash yellow Dhal in plenty of water. Cook until soft, add stock to the lentils and simmer for about 30mins.
- Chop the onions and cook really slowly in coconut oil making sure onions cook really slowly for 5/10 mins. Cover with pan lid and cook for another 5/10mins (draws the water out). Then another 5mins uncovered. Add bit more oil if needed. Then scatter onto baking tray and put on lowest heat add onions and garmasala. Cook for about 2hrs, make sure they don’t burn.
- Add veg stock and turmeric, asopoteda powder, cinnamon stick, grated ginger, carrots to the lentils and cook for 30/45mins on very low heat.
- Blitz the soup in a blender but make sure remove cinnamon stick first.
Add chopped tomatoes and put back on the heat.
Add tarka onions and serve with a good dollop of natural yoghurt.