This is a classic Italian dish that my friend Adam introduced to me when I went to see him in Turin. I was vegetarian at the time and the Italian’s are big meat eaters so I struggled a bit. It is super silly simple to make, just takes a bit of prep. You can have it on its own, with salad or even with meat and fish. My friend loves it cold.
What you need
- 2/3 Aubergines topped tailed and cut into thin slices lengthways
- 1 large jar of good quality pasata and the fill the jar with water and also use this.
- 1 pack of Mozzarella
- parmesan grated (let you decide how much you are going to use)
- Oregano (tea spoon)
- Salt & Pepper
- Tomato Paste (2 tablespoons)
- 2/4 cloves of garlic (grated)
How to do it
1) Get your aubergines and put in a colander and cover with a bit of salt. You might have to do this in a couple of batches.
2) tap excess water that the salt will draw out and fry or grill. This is the hardest bit and takes a while. You need to make sure that the aubergines are cooked through. I do brush the aubergine with tiny bit of oil to help this process.
3) In a big oven dish I pour the pasata and water, oregano, pepper, tom paste, garlic and mix well.
4) Add the cooked aubergines in layers and push them under the sauce.
5) Top with cheeses and cook on 180degrees for about 45mins, until cheese is toasted.